The First United Methodist Church in Bartlesville, OK is a complex that was constructed in four stages between 1927 and 1987. A Modern Movement A-frame sanctuary designed by architect Truett Coston, completed in 1954, serves as the focal point of the complex. Three education and administration wings date to 1927, 1954, and 1987. The 1927 block was renovated in conjunction with the 1954 addition and existing configuration and finished date to that period. Although constructed over a 60-year period, the complex is visually united with compatible scale and buff brick cladding.
The congregation constructed a new campus on the outskirts of Bartlesville and moved out of the historic building in 2013. A new owner purchased the building with a vision to rehabilitate the building for residential use. Rosin Preservation prepared the National Register of Historic Places nomination to position the building to use historic tax credits for the rehabilitation. Rosin has worked with the owner and Bartlesville-based Abler Architects on the design, converting the education and administrative wings into apartments. A challenging aspect of the project has been retaining mid-twentieth century features and finishes while designing comfortable, modern residential units. A larger challenge has been how to utilize the sanctuary to create an income-producing space. Rosin Preservation has collaborated with the designers and with SHPO to seek a viable use and design. Soon, Bartlesville will have a new apartment facility and residents will call First United Methodist Church home.
500 South Johnstone Avenue Bartlesville, OK